Scalability

Moderators: Ane M, joli3ma3, lisa, tx2001aggie, Jeanetta

Aquarius

Scalability

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:35 pm

You are probably unaware of this issue, as it is not a problem on my desktop or laptop, however I generally use my iphone to shake paws, so scalability (if that's what the issue is) is really important to me.

For some time there has been an issue with Lisa's page being too wide for my iphone 4s screen, so that I have to scroll to the right to shake paws (and now to feed as well). Spider's page has also had this problem intermittently.

Only this week, two other user's (admins, I think) pages also became too wide as well (one a couple of days ago and another today).

It's not impossible, but it does slow me down and make the experience less simple and enjoyable (particularly if I'm in a rush to shake and feed as many as I can as quickly as possible on a busy day)...
Warm hugs from Kris & Aquarius

Aquarius

Re: Scalability

Postby Aquarius » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:24 am

I'm wondering if I should have posted this on the PnF Group instead, as there doesn't seem to be anyone here?

lisa

Postby lisa » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Aquarius wrote:I'm wondering if I should have posted this on the PnF Group instead, as there doesn't seem to be anyone here?

I'll alert David to read your post :)

David J Weston

Postby David J Weston » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 pm

Thank you, that's interesting.

Neither I nor Alias Al (our head programmer) have an iPhone, so first of all thank you for telling us, as we had no way of knowing.

Unfortunately that also means we have no way of testing a solution, either.

It was a surprise when we found that the app could be used on the Puffin browser, and this has enabled us to provide a service to mobile phones and tablets much earlier than would have otherwise been the case. We are keen to provide alternative views for different devices so that problems like this do not occur, but that must follow creating a complete viable game --- and being able to afford an iPhone.

David J Weston

Postby David J Weston » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Are you able to provide a screenshot of an affected page as it appears on your iPhone?

Aquarius

Postby Aquarius » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:36 pm

David Joshua Knight wrote:Are you able to provide a screenshot of an affected page as it appears on your iPhone?

Thanks very much Lisa. I figured you guys would be totally unaware of this.

I knew you were going to ask that and I haven't got a clue how to do it :oops: - what I could try and do is take a photo of two of the screens with my digital camera showing the two different page widths? Will have a go in the morning and see if I can do it without too much glare in the photos :roll:

The Puffin browser is wonderful. It's nice to be able to shake paws when I'm on long drives or sitting watching TV. This older version of the iphone is 1/6th of the price of an ipad/tablet in Australia, and it's my first mobile/cell phone that can do data (not just phone calls). A tablet is on the bucket list though, as I'm developing a permanent squint from peering at the tiny icons on the iphone :shock:

Also, if Jolie is an admin, I think she has an iphone (I think it was her mentioning it on a PnF Group post some time back)...just saying, as it would be good to know if the newer iphones and androids also have the same problem, and Jolie seems to be pretty tech savvy, so maybe she could capture screen shots properly if she has the same issue?

David J Weston

Postby David J Weston » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:29 pm

Go ahead, the more we are aware of the more we can do about it, but we can't guarantee anything until either Al or I can afford an iphone. By all means contact Jolie and I will welcome you doing so. Amanda Clarke also has an iphone, and there may be other moderators who have one. I have a clam shell voice only phone and until this is a viable business that's probably how it will stay, but I do have an Android tablet.

Aquarius

Postby Aquarius » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:45 am

David Joshua Knight wrote:Go ahead, the more we are aware of the more we can do about it, but we can't guarantee anything until either Al or I can afford an iphone. By all means contact Jolie and I will welcome you doing so. Amanda Clarke also has an iphone, and there may be other moderators who have one. I have a clam shell voice only phone and until this is a viable business that's probably how it will stay, but I do have an Android tablet.

The only advantage a phone has over a tablet is you can pop it in your handbag ;)

I'm going to have to PM you the pictures, because I can't make them appear here. Sorry about the quality, it's the best the camera could do without flash (and the flash just reflected light off the screen, so I couldn't capture the image).

vey_chyryn

Postby vey_chyryn » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

Aquarius wrote:
David Joshua Knight wrote:Are you able to provide a screenshot of an affected page as it appears on your iPhone?

Thanks very much Lisa. I figured you guys would be totally unaware of this.

I knew you were going to ask that and I haven't got a clue how to do it :oops: - what I could try and do is take a photo of two of the screens with my digital camera showing the two different page widths? Will have a go in the morning and see if I can do it without too much glare in the photos :roll:

Don't feel bad, Kris! I'm decently tech savvy and I still don't know how to do that from my phone. (I have a LG with Android.)

I know on my phone I've not yet had this issue, if I can get my roommate talked into trying the app she might be able to add input, as she has an iphone. ;)

David J Weston

Postby David J Weston » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you for the images. Without having an iPhone all I can say is when the stand alone site is working for all users, there will be no Facebook ads and there will be lots of room on the right for the images to appear in. Other than that, the iPhone just isn't putting things where the html says it should, which is weird and hard to solve.

Return to “The Vault”